Friday, November 7, 2008

Writing and What A Book Can Become...


S. Meyer's TWILIGHT comes to the big screen this month...and it's amazing to me. I read the book two years ago before all of the hype. It was just on the verge of becoming popular and none of the other books had been released. I loved it, and I can't wait for the movie to hit theatres. I will be in the audience the first night Edward's face graces the big screen.
Every time I see the trailer for this movie I wonder if she ever imagined her idea, her baby becoming this huge. Did she even fathom the popularity of something that was once a thought in her head?
In looking at some of our previous posts, I saw that last October I thought I was almost finished with the final revisions of Shadow People. Ha! I'm at it again, and might as well use a pick ax! My point is, I can't imagine my characters hitting the big screen, or hundreds of squealing teens standing in line until midnight for the release of my book. It would be wonderful, but while I have my head in the book all I can focus on is where the characters lead.
So how does it happen? How does one little idea become what Meyer's books are today? Or even Harry Potter for that matter? Is it timing, marketing, luck or all of the above?
T

3 comments:

Christine Johnson Books said...

Still not going to see it. And then Lisa will owe me a critique slot. Ha! And also that is *so* not what Edward Cullen looks like. God.

Anonymous said...

I'll be there opening day. We are having a staff retreat that Friday and our fun time at the end of the day is going to see Twilight. Yay!! So excited, though I don't know that it'll meet expectations.

Unknown said...

Well..I vote we three Twilghters rub yer nose in it. Hee-hee...
It'll be worth the critique spot. I was surprised today how many of my students had read the book and think the movie's going to stink.