Sunday, November 4, 2007

Chronic Writer's Block Cures ... Maybe


Writer's Block: the infernal disease that afflicts all writers. (If you happen to be the exception to the rule, I don't want to hear about it because then I probably won't like you. And I don't like not liking people. If that makes sense.)
I'm always amazed by writers that have words and ideas pouring out of them -- effortlessly. I'll be honest with you, I work my tail off to get words on a page. And I practice the age-old writer's un-blocker technique of "butt-in-chair." And if things get really dreadful I fall back on my FORREST GUMP philosophy:
I run, run, run, run, run ... then go work at the library because it's something that comes easy to me and makes me feel competent. Then back to the chair. The hardest part of writing for me is the first draft -- getting the structure of the book down. Because I LOVE revisions. I never feel stuck when I revise. The block comes when I'm working on getting that first draft out there. You can always tell when I'm working on a first draft. I'm in really good shape. Ha!!

Best of luck and stick to it. (Your muse will come .)
Heidi Ayarbe

No comments: