Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy 2009!


Happy New Year!!

Of course I have to be cliche and write a Happy New Year post. It's just "the thing" to do.

Anyway, New Year's is quite an event in Colombia. At midnight, at home, all you've gotta do is find someone to kiss. (Yes, I know. I went through decades in which that was about as likely as Victoria Beckham buying a pair of Payless shoes.)
Here, though, it takes a lot of coordination to do everything 'just right.' When the clock starts to strike twelve, you have to eat twelve peeled grapes and make a wish on each dong. No time to chew. Then, as soon as that's over, everybody runs around the block with a suitcase to make sure they'll travel during the year. Then we take out a life-size doll -- the old year -- and burn it. Kind of like starting the New Year with a clean slate. All this is done at midnight -- somehow. And then, of course, the fireworks (yes, they're illegal, but here 'illegal' always has a subjective interpretation and no our fireworks don't REALLY look like the picture) all the while wearing yellow underwear (which I've never been a fan of for probably pretty obvious reasons) and the party begins. Sigh. I'm tired. And New Years was almost five days ago. We always spend the New Year with all of my husband's family. (It's a HUGE family holiday here -- not like at home where you go off with friends). His mom, her three siblings, and all of their families. There are about twenty of us doing these crazy antics, and this year we spent the rest of the night singing karaoke. Which, admittedly, I LOVE! I'm horrible, but I just LOVE karaoke. Yes, send me to the cheese factory, but at least I'm honest about it. Lots of people won't admit it.

The thing I love: NO RESOLUTIONS. Which I've always thought were pretty tedious. I mean why start the year off with a bazillion things you haven't done? It's just better to burn the doll.

Anyway, I hope this year brings everyone wonders, peace and joy.

Happy 2009
Let the writing begin ...

Heidi

An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. ~Bill Vaughan

(Personally, I'm just glad I can make it to midnight half the time. Sigh. Am I getting old???)

1 comment:

Christina Farley said...

Happy New Year to you (a little late:)